Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Key changes and moments

This project has by far had many changes, and for better or worse, the project is where it's at, and it was the best product that I could put out with my resources, efforts, and gestures from team members. I will try to discuss the changes as extensively as I can, as well as providing them chronologically. One of the premiering changes to occur were those towards the storyboard, as plot production was one of the first things in my mind. Many of the shots such as finding the body parts were going to be too costly, or the unfocused high angle shot just didn’t fit the presentation as it didn’t aid us in providing clear leeway from introducing the killer too introducing the kidnapped person. The two shots don’t juxtapose each other as well as the medium shots we took in the film, with the three knocks. Another change, but not as significant, was the changes to the audio. We expected “Run Rabbit Run” to be useable to our production, but the company was not understanding of our situation. But it did help us aid in finding another even better song, which fit the mood of the project quite well. As well with everyone’s busy schedules, our filming dates had to be radically changed, however, this was mostly due to sheer laziness of other members. Next, another large change that occurred was the ending to the intro, we wanted to end the film with just the murder of the person and a roll to credits, however, our teacher told us this wouldn’t seem fitting for a movie introduction, but more of a mid-movie scene. By bringing in the bulletin board showing all the serial killers plans, it provides our movie leverage to show there is more to this scene, that being his attempted murders towards the other people on the board and probably some adjusted background story and climatic ending. Another thing that changed after this was out filmer and actor, at this point I had asked people if they could come in and hold the camera and asked others to come and act. After a bit, some told me they had gone on vacation and others just didn’t want to come act. It’s understandable, it’s not their job. So at the time of filming, I had to find two random school friends of mine and just decided that I would be filming. At this point in the project, I had an argument with my partners at his point, for them not providing enough to the project, but instead of motivating them, it just pushed me to do more work. Antonio edited maybe like 15 seconds but I had to scrap it because it was poorly edited and incoherent. The only thing Antonio did was I would say pay $5 for props and be co-director for about an hour the first day of filming, the rest of the entirety of the project was done by me and Nico was there. Another large change to the project was our decision to film it in the dark, as it provided us with práctica scary shots and added suspense. It also aided as some of the acting was pretty bad, but was masked by the darkness. However, we prevailed and moved on from this. During filming, many of the shots change that were not written in the storyboard, as they came to us on spot. Some of those being the bulletin board scene, the POV murder, and the chase of finding the keys (medium tracking shot). Likewise, many key moments do coexist the key changes, as you can tell by the writting, some changes did lead to major moments within the project. One of the largest being the group fight. Me being enraged at my partners' lack of work forced me to go out to do all the work which was missed by that of my group mates, including simple tasks, such as prop production and mis en scene. Similarly, the fight allowed me to find actors in a desperate fashion and adjust to a manner to where I now had to change my mindest on not having to carry the load of others. However, it was still a great motivation boost. Me and Antonio were able to film and do more practice shots a day to two days after the fight, which was pretty efficient. Speaking of props, if it weren't for me going out to buy them, filming wouldn't have happened for at least another week. But since we already had all the necessary equipment to fulfill the projects needs, we were all set. Another key moment in the film production was me watching Get out by Jordan Peele. That day would be around the first week of February. I had seen the film many times, but this time I had viewed it with my friends. We spent around two hours discussing plot points and easter eggs. The horror genre was on my mind, so when I had come to class and we discussed the main storyline to our introduction, the opening scene of Lakeith Stanfield had opened my mind. I wanted to emulate some of those elements, such as a serial murderer and the audio techniques used in the opening. Group meeting with our teacher and other classmates also helped out a bunch. Our teacher was the one who would tell us when some of the things we were trying to create were unrealistic or made the introduction, something other than it should be. Which helped us develop the whole bulletin board act. Research also helped develop ideas and plot as well. Movies such as get out, scream, US, and even shows like American Horror Story really helped me come up with the plot. Likewise, the research done on the importance of sound, lighting, and normal genre conventions truly helped during the filming and editing process. This included helping find out the right sound effects to use, scores, lighting during filming, and conventions of quick cuts. Lastly, one of the more important moments was our actors having to leave for vacation. If we weren't already in a rush to leave, they had told me all of a sudden that they had to leave for a wrestling tournament, only the one being killed. This allowed us to film more seriously and stop fooling around, and get the filming process done in a more timely manner. As well, in editing, we were rushed as if we needed to find some manner to re-shoot it would have to be the day after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

...and we're done

I want to thank the Cambridge program, especially anyone watching, and my teacher Mrs. Stoklosa for giving us this opportunity to spend coun...